TOEFL Words | Questions 241-250
241. The scientific investigation of an experience as private as consciousness is frustratingly beyond the usual tools of the experimental psychologist. This may be one reason that many researchers have shied away from the notion of mind and consciousness in nonhuman animals.
The phrase “shied away from” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) approached (B) avoided (C) respected (D) allowed
242. Gallup’ report of the experiment, published in a 1970 article, was a milestone in our understanding of animal minds, and psychologists wondered how widespread selfrecognition would prove to be.
The word “milestone” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) significant development (B) initial step (C) universal concept (D) obstruction to progress
243. Biological diversity has become widely recognized as a critical conservation issue only in the past two decades.
The word “critical” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) negative (B) essential (C) interesting (D) complicated
244. The high rate of species extinctions in these environments is jolting, but it is important to recognize the significance of biological diversity in all ecosystems.
The word “jolting” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) predicted (B) shocking (C) unknown (D) illuminating
245. However, nothing has ever equaled the magnitude and speed with which the human species is altering the physical and chemical world and demolishing the environment.
The word “magnitude” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) concern (B) determination (C) carelessness (E) extent
246. The conservatism of the early English colonists in North American, their strong attachment to the English way of doing things, would play a major part in the furniture that was made in New England.
The phrase “attachment to ” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) control of (B) distance from (C) curiosity about (D) preference for
247. The mortise is the hole chiseled and cut into one piece of wood, while the tenon is the tongue of protruding element shaped from another piece of wood so that it fits into the mortise; and another small hole is then drilled (with the auger) through the mortised end and the tenon so that a whittled peg can secure the joint-thus the term
The word “protruding” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) parallel (B) simple (C) projecting (D) important
248. Locks and escutcheon plates-the latter to shield the wood from the metal key-would often be imported.
The word “shield” in line closest in meaning to
(A) decorate (B) copy (C) shape (D) protect
249. The establishment of these posts opened new roads and provided for the protection of daring adventurers and expeditions as well as established settlers.
The word “daring” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) lost (B) bold (C) lively (D) foolish
250. Throughout the wilderness, post bands provided entertainment and boosted morale.
The word “boosted” is closest in meaning to which of following?
(A) influenced (B) established (C) raised (D) maintained
TOEFL Words | Answers 241-250