TOEFL Words | Questions 191-200
191. The woolly mammoth, a long-haired rhinoceros, and other mammals have been periodically exposed in the tundra of Siberia,
the hair and red flesh still frozen in cold storage.
The word “exposed” is closest in meaning to which of following?
192. A useful definition of an air pollutant is a compound added directly or indirectly by humans to the atmosphere in such quantities
as to affect humans, animals, vegetation, or materials adversely.
The word “adversely” is closest in meaning to which of following?
193. As the Earth developed, the concentrations of these pollutants were altered by various chemical reactions; they became components in biogeochemical cycles.
The word “altered” is closest in meaning to which of following?
194. The result is an increased concentration of noxious chemicals in the air. The concentrations at which the adverse effects
appear will be greater than the concentrations that the pollutants would have in the absence of human activities.
The word “noxious” is closest in meaning to which of following?
195. The actual concentration need not be large for a substance to be a pollutant; in fact the numerical value tells us little until we know
how much of an increase this represents over the concentration that would occur naturally in the area. For example, sulfur dioxide has
detectable health effects at 0. 08 parts per million (ppm) , which is about 400 times its natural level.
The word “detectable” is closest in meaning towhich of following?
196. The acute, growing public awareness of the social changes that had been taking place for some time was tied to tremendous growth in popular journalism in the late nineteenth century, including growth in quantity and circulation of both magazines and newspapers.
The word “acute” is closest in meaning to which of following?
197. Furthermore, the introduction in 1890 of the first successful linotype machine promised even further growth. In 1872 only two daily
newspapers could claim a circulation of over 100,000, but by 1892 seven more newspapers exceeded that figure. A world beyond the
immediate community was rapidly becoming visible.
The word “exceeded” is closest in meaning to which of following?
198. Magazines as they are known today began publication around 1882, and, in fact, the circulation of weekly magazines exceeded that of newspapers in the period which followed. By 1892, for example, the circulation of the Ladies’ Home Journal had reached an astounding 700,000.
The word “astounding” is closest in meaning to which of following?
199. It is lightweight, impermeable to liquids, readily cleaned and reused, durable yet fragile, and often very beautiful.
The word “durable” is closest in meaning to which of following?
200. In effect, as molten glass cools, it progressively stiffens until rigid, but does so without setting up a network of interlocking crystals customarily associated with that process.
The word “customarily” is closest in meaning
to which of following?
TOEFL Words | Answers 191-200